Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Lesson Accelerator - Legislative Branch - Inspiration

The Legislative Branch for Inspiration
This was a government graphic organizer that divided the three parts of the Legislative Branch in Inspiration. I could use this in my classroom for my ESL newcomers because it minimizes the amount of information and condenses it onto one page. It is great that symbols or pictures can be used in place of words, colors can be changed for ease of understanding differences, and outlines are formed based on information input onto the web. Also, both the outline and the graphic organizer can be printed so it applies to different learning styles. If a student is more linear the outline is available to them for studying. In class I also like the fact that I can create links to web pages where I want my students to look for information. It is difficult when they are all over the internet because there is sometimes too much information for them to have. I think this is a great tool for organizing notes in order.
I would modify this organizer by placing in each box of text what I want included there. I would also add text boxes where needed before giving the organizer to the students. I might also have them add text boxes based on what they thought was important enough to add into the organizer. I would also modify this organizer to show all branches of government. I think that would be more comprehensive. They would have all the information on one page.
I would present this to the staff at my school explaining that they could use this in Science, ELA, or any other subject. I believe that it could be geared toward science by talking about ecosystems possibly. For reading or English teachers it would be appropriate for character differentiation or plotting stories from beginning to end. I would also let them know that it would be a good tool to help a struggling writer begin because it gives them all the information they would just have to separate it into paragraphs and possibly add more details. It would at least give them a starting point. This graphic organizer would be a great culminating project instead of a test because the student has to fill it in using his own language and not by chance bubbling the correct answer on a scantron. The teacher would really know whether or not the student understood the material because of how they input the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment