Identifying Sources of Ideas for Education and Training Programs
6.1
1. An educational training that I am planning currently is to show the teachers that using technology in the classroom can be easily integrated within their curriculum. I plan on explaining uses for PowerPoint, podcasting, videocasting, and web authoring in the classroom. These can be prepared by the teacher to explain concepts to the students or by students to present concepts to others in the classroom. During the presentation, teachers will be on the computers in the lab so they can emulate my strokes. This will allow them to participate hands-on in the training. I will also provide them with a sheet with step-by-step instructions so they can do more of the same individually. By the end of the training, I hope they realize how simple it is for students and teachers to incorporate technology into the classroom.
2. The sources I am using are as follows:
People – The people that will be in attendance are teachers in my building in several different content areas. They vary in years of experience, subject matter, educational background, and technological ability. Some will be administrators and others will be teacher aides. Some of these teachers have more access to the computer lab than others. Science and math teachers already have programs that enable them to incorporate technology easily into their curriculum so they may not be as open minded about other uses for technology.
The teachers who will be applying this as a hands-on activity for students will need to take into account the situation of each student. While it is easy for some students to work on the computer after school hours, it is not for others. Although the gap between those with and without technology access in their homes is decreasing, it is still apparent in some schools. Computer time for all students needs to be allotted for them to have ample time preparing their presentation. Teachers will need to sign up for lab time to incorporate these technologies into their lessons. Teachers might feel that this takes away from their TAKS teaching time. I hope they realize this is to enhance what they are teaching and not a separate entity that is taking up their time.
Organizations – Changes in curriculum is delivered has been trickling down from the government in the No Child Left Behind act. This has prompted TAKS in our schools today. This test is becoming more difficult and teachers need to find ways to expand their technical delivery methods for teaching. It has been identified in recent TAKS scores at our school that ESL and LEP students are lacking in Science and Math as well as Reading. We need to raise their scores across the board. Technology in classrooms will help bridge the gap because it will teach students how to learn instead of having them regurgitate information. For the teachers who teach how to take a test, learning with technology will teach deductive reasoning, which they can apply to testing strategies. The government mandates that these students master the academic language in only three years. We have to try new methods of teaching to reach the LEP students who are falling behind in many of their subjects. Technology is a great way to lessen the gap between those native speakers and those LEP students. Technology has many services available for the student to increase test scores as they work together and learn from their peers. The Title I money that we receive is going to have to be documented to assure the state that we have used it in a manner that helps the most students. Not only will technology help bridge the gap for EP students, it will engage all students and enhance their ability to learn.
Responsibilities and tasks for adult life – Most of the tasks used in applying technology to the classroom curriculum are simple enough to be done in a conference period. We all have student aids who grade our papers, so we can use this time to beef up our lessons. If you must stay after school to work on this I am always available. I also know that sometimes children (our own) staying after school can become a chore because they also need to get their homework done and participate in after-school activities. Adding technology applications to your everyday classroom would be a great way for them to learn as well. They would first learn that adding technology can be simple. Second, you are a good example of how to work after school and although this might not hit home now, it will in the future when they say how much they have to do. You can come back with, “I worked every day after school, and I could do it.” Your children are very creative; they can probably help you, depending on their ages, design and create some applications. Most often they know more than we do.
Communities and Society – Today society dictates that we use technology in our every-day lives. Students use technology at home quite often, but when it comes to using it for academic reasons, they are not as well-versed. LEP students especially, do not have access to technology as often in their homes, making the school environment the only place they are accessing technology. Society has also mandated the NETS for students that must be accomplished in order to graduate from high school. These require the students to apply technology skills in a working environment individually and collaboratively so they can succeed in the business world. Society today looks down upon those who are not familiar with how to use technology. We need to do everything we can to ensure these students become successful in using technology.
3. I am currently in the beginnings of planning the training. The sources I am currently using are the teachers, administrators, and teacher aides in my building. They will be able to put together a technological application to add to their curriculum so the students can participate in a hands-on environment. I am using information from last year’s TAKS scores to determine who needs the most help and in what area. It was already mentioned in a staff development meeting that the LEP kids will be targeted for the most help this year. I am also using the survey to inquire as to how people want to receive information. I can offer this to them online with few classes, or many classes, or one on one depending on their needs. I have not figured out yet what I am not using because I have not gotten that far yet.
6.2
I am currently involved in an organization that is the ESL after-school program. I am in charge of getting over 150 students extra tutorials from 4-5 after school. To give the students incentive to come they can also play soccer, do art projects, and play on the computer. Students are not required to come; however, another incentive is that we take field trips. This year we are going to the Grossology museum in Frisco. I organize volunteers and paid teachers to stay after school on Tuesday and Thursday after school so the students have a place and a person to talk to about school work. This year we are also organizing a soccer team that is intramural and next year will play other schools in the district. This is being organized by one of our assistant principals and myself. It is to give the LEP students more of an incentive to do well in school, because just like any athletic program, they must pass all of their classes to play.
I have also been involved in the Campus Improvement Team which provides snacks for testing days and an academic after –school program. They involve the community in Sachse with the school and the parents. In my experience with this program, it is more talk than action. Seems like a good idea to get everyone involved, but there are no clear guidelines as to what could be done, so it is a lot of talking.
In the after-school program it is successful because of the teachers who volunteer to stay with the ESL students. They get a chance to work with them on a smaller scale. The classes are smaller to ensure more one on one time with the students. We have tried to rotate days in which science is done one day, math the next, and so on, but the results were not as good. Students had homework in other subjects than the ones targeted. Not all students needed help in the targeted subjects either. So now it is a free for all – you must have at least 30 minutes worth of work, but in any subject. We have also talked about rotating teachers so that there is a science or math teacher in the room with a reading or English teacher, but what we have discovered is that the students form relationships with the teacher that is in there with them most often. They perform for that teacher better than for a random one that comes in every once in a while. With these students, the relationship is often most important.
Obviously the people matter. If the student is not comfortable with the teacher, he will not perform well. There are some teachers who do not like working with our LEP population. They prefer working with the gifted and talented, which is fine, to each his own. The ones who work with our kids find it rewarding because they are, for the most part, grateful for the help they are getting. They want to do well. Some of them just don’t have the opportunity at home to do school-related tasks. Some teachers who want to volunteer cannot because of prior commitments, or begin volunteering and have to stop because of outside factors. I get new teachers every year that are willing and able to work with our kids. It is interesting to see them in a different light.
I prefer to use the any subject, any day technique because after all the trial and error, it seems to work the best. Students are able to form relationships with teachers who encourage them. I do try to put a math/science teacher in with a reading/English teacher just because – let’s face it – we all have our strengths and weaknesses. This works the best because it is more efficient to help the most students during the smallest amount of time. Seeing as we only have 30 minutes to help these kids, whatever they need – I will get to them. This year we will see if anything new comes up. I have a feeling, with what we have tried in the past, the current way may be the best, but I’m open to suggestions!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment