One of the ladies that I mentored teaches newcomer ESL. She had her kids create podcasts about math charts. They had to talk about who they surveyed and what kinds of questions they asked. They also had to discuss their results using the vocabulary they learned in math class pertaining to the lesson. Some did very well, while other students who have low language skills did not do as well and need more practice speaking.
This exercise was good for ESL students because one of the criteria for exiting the ESL program is fluent speaking in English (obviously). This makes them realize how far they need to stretch in order to successfully exit.
This is a technique I look forward to using with my students who are closer to exiting than her students due to the fact that they have been here longer. I have already made them recite poems into PPT presentations, but that does not qualify as fluent English speaking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment