Friday, July 17, 2009

e-portfolio

I have decided that I need to use e-portfolios in my classes. After presenting in class and researching the topic, I have decided that they are great representations of student work over time. Some of the aspects that I thought were beneficial were the reflection. I think it is beneficial for the student to know why they know things. I think that it is important for students to look over time how far they have come. Since I teach ESL, 6-8 grade, I believe it is important for the student to look at what they were capable of doing in 6th grade, possibly when they came to this country, and how their work looks in 8th grade, up to two years later. The online portfolio gives students a more authentic way of displaying their work. They get more excited about things and have something to own at the end of the process.
I think the reflection factor is the most important. It makes them look back over their work, which most of them do not do. I also think it is important for the students to be able to archive different types of media in their e-portfolio. I always think that visuals increase the interest of presentations. e-portfolios allow the student to add visual or audio elements to their presentation. The other aspect of e-portfolios that I like is that it belongs to the student after it is completed. This gives the student motivation to do best work. It also empowers them because other people will look at it - not just the teacher. Overall, I think it is a great tool for organization and communication, as well as a great tool to showcase student work.

No comments:

Post a Comment